Public Liability

Guiding you through Public Liability

If you’ve suffered an injury in a public place due to someone failing to take proper care over something then you may be entitled to compensation.

Guiding you through Public Liability

Our specialist public liability solicitors are here to make everything easier for you. We help people with public liability claims every day and could help you too. Our team is ready to listen and advise on the best course of action. Call our local office on 01707 244710 to speak to a team member today.

How do I know if I can make a claim?

If you have suffered an injury in a public place due to another party’s negligence then you can make a claim. Public liability claims can be made for accidents that include:

●     Burns/scalds
●     Chemical burns
●     Dangerous pathways
●     Door injuries
●     Falls
●     Glass injuries
●     Hazardous materials
●     Inhalation injuries
●     Lift/escalator accidents
●     Obstructions
●     Slips and trips
●     Whiplash injuries

How can I make a claim?

If you have suffered an injury in a public place, the first thing you should do is report any accident to the relevant person or authority. For example: the manager of a store or a park warden if your accident happened in your local park. Reporting the accident to the relevant authorities allows them to record the details of your accident and any injuries as soon as possible. This record should also enable you to claim sick leave if necessary or when making a claim.

How long do I have?

Public liability claimants usually have three years from the date of the incident to make any claims. However claims can sometimes be made outside the three-year period. Minors who have suffered any injuries have three years from the age of 18 in which to make a claim.  

How much will I get?

There is no set rule for how much compensation you might receive for a public injury. This all depends on the extent of your injuries and how long it is expected that a full recovery will take. How much compensation you may receive includes General Damages and Special Damages. General Damages cover any pain, suffering and loss of amenity.

The exact amount of General Damages you receive will be assessed according to the extent of the injury, estimated recovery time and if any rehabilitation is needed, and if further medical treatment or lifelong care is needed. Special Damages cover medical fees and other expenses that you may have had to pay for using your own money.

These expenses might include: Any physiotherapy costs, loss of earnings, travel expenses to hospital or damage to personal items. In some more serious cases, ongoing care, loss of future salary and pension or adaptations to your home would be included.

Our specialist lawyers have experience in a wide range of Public Liability cases, and have secured compensation for people in similar situations. Call us today on 01707 244710  for an initial consultation about your case.

Make an Enquiry

If you would like to find out more or to make an appointment please contact us.