European unmarried partners

Under current immigration rules an Unmarried Partner Visa can help a Non-EU, unmarried partner work and stay in the UK . Our immigration experts are here to help with your immigration matters when a British or settled person wishes to bring their unmarried partner to the UK. Non-EU partners in a genuine and subsisting relationship to live and work together in the UK can be offered a visa by the UK Visa and Immigration services (UKVI).

You can apply for the Unmarried Partner Visa If your partner is a British national or has settlement status in the UK. Before your application can be accepted there will be requirements to meet in order to establish the authenticity of the relationship. Once you have lived with your partner for at least five years in the UK, you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

When evaluating applications in this category, UKVI will look at each case on its individual merits.

What are the eligibility criteria for the Unmarried Partner Visa?
To apply for the Unmarried Partner Visa or Same-Sex Partner Visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must have been living together with your partner who has British nationality or has had UK settled person status for at least two years, or
  • You are in a civil partnership or marriage which is recognised in the UK, or
  • You are a fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within six months of arriving.
  • You meet the English language requirements.
  • You have suitable accommodation.
  • Your sponsoring partner meets the minimum income threshold.

The minimum income threshold is one of the most contentious elements of the family visa requirements.  The partner who is settled in the UK must be earning a minimum income of £18,600 for at least six months prior to making the visa application or have savings of £62,500.  With £3,800 required for one child, and £2,400 for each additional child. whether that’s a student visa, a work visa or a business visitor’s visa.

Make an Enquiry

If you would like to find out more or to make an appointment please contact us.